Our Seven Year Journey

Barr’s Hill has a long tradition of academic excellence. Our staff have traditional values and very high expectations of all students.

Our ‘7 Year Journey’ encourages all of our students to build brighter futures. As students progress through each Hub, they build an understanding of the responsibilities of adulthood whilst developing key character traits and skills needed for life, work and leadership. Each Hub and every year group has a unique focus, carefully planned to support the child at each step of their journey. All students in each year are taught how to communicate properly and professionally and are encouraged to demonstrate their skills in various leadership roles. They engage in an exciting and impactful programme of enrichment activities and are given time to reflect on the new knowledge and skills they gain. From the Bridge, through to Post 16 Select, students are supported to plan and manage their careers and this enables them to leave us for fantastic post-school destinations.

PRIDE at Barr’s Hill lies at the heart of our 7 Year Journey and is pervasive throughout the school.

Rewritten in 2019 after a thorough consultation with parents, staff and students, each PRIDE statement has been carefully designed to encourage the development of character, employability skills, such as leadership, and fundamental British values and behaviours for learning. PRIDE represents much more than a list of school values or a set of behaviours; PRIDE helps our students thrive throughout their 7 Year Journey and as members of a global society once they leave us.

Year 7 students have their own social and learning spaces in ‘The Bridge’. Their teachers are experts in Year 7 learning and progress.

As a smaller school, we get to know our students extremely well. Every student is offered a range of Sports, Creative, Performance and Service opportunities throughout their seven year journey.

After progressing through the ‘Hubs’ from the Bridge to the 10/11 Hub, older students will join Post 16 Select, a joint venture with the President Kennedy School. This year, 90% of our Post 16 students progressed to university, with the remaining 10% embarking upon high class apprenticeships or entering the world of work.