Free School Meals – letter for all parents
I am sure you are aware that some families may be eligible for ‘Free School Meals’. Any student who is eligible receives money each day on their account to spend in the school canteen. In addition to this the school receives over £900 per year to support with learning resources. This can help to fund valuable teaching and learning support for our school (and is still paid to the school even if your entitlement ceases).
If you think you may be eligible then please click the link below to sign up. If you are not sure or have any questions, or would like support in completing the online form them please contact us, we would be happy to help. We are very keen that all those who are eligible DO sign up, even if your child does not plan to use this money in the canteen, the school still receives the additional funding. Please see below for the eligibility criteria.
Free school meals are available to children of families who are in receipt of:
- Income Support
- Jobseekers Allowance (income based)
- Employment and Support Allowance (income based)
- Guarantee Credit (the Guarantee element of State Pension Credit)
- Universal Credit (UC)
- Until 1 April 2018, all UC claims were eligible for free school meals, however,
from 1 April 2018, UC claims will only be eligible for free school meals if the total net earned income is under £7,400 per year OR if the child was eligible for a free school meal on 01/04/18
- Where the child was eligible for a free school meal on 01 April 2018, they will remain entitled to a free school meal regardless of any change in parental income until they finish the phase of education they are in (primary or secondary) as at 31 March 2022
- Any child who becomes eligible for a free school meal between 01 April 2018 and 31 March 2022 will remain entitled to a free school meal regardless of any change in parental income until they finish the phase of education they are in (primary or secondary) as at 31 March 2022
- Support under part V1 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Child Tax Credit, provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have a total annual income (as assessed by HM Revenue & Customs) that does not exceed £16,190
If you receive Working Tax Credit only, your child is not eligible.
The Government is temporarily extending free school meal eligibility to include some children of groups who have no recourse to public funds (NRPF).
These groups are subject to a maximum household earnings threshold of £7,400 per annum. These groups are:
- children of Zambrano carers;
- children of families with no recourse to public funds with a right to remain in the UK on grounds of private and family life under Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights;
- children of families receiving support under Section 17 of the Children Act 1989 who are also subject to a no recourse to public funds restriction.
The Government is also temporarily extending eligibility to children of a subset of failed asylum seekers supported under Section 4 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999. This group is not subject to a maximum household earnings threshold.
Parents receiving Working Tax Credit for four weeks after their employment finishes are entitled to free school meals during that period. This also applies to parents who start working less than 16 hours per week (please seek advice about this from the Benefits Agency). Children who receive Income Support or Income Based Job Seekers Allowance in their own right are also entitled to receive Free School Meals.
This extension covers both children who are attending school and children who are self-isolating at home because they or a member of their household have tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19).
All parents/carers of students who attend Barr’s Hill School can apply by following this link: www.coventry.gov.uk/freeschoolmeals in order to complete an online application.
If you need any further information regarding your eligibility for free school meals, please contact the local authority:
Free School Meals
Monday to Friday: 11am until 2pm
Tel: 024 7683 3773
Customer Service Centre