What is Labour Market Information (LMI)?
Labour Market Information (LMI) tells us all about what is happening in the world of work, or the labour market.
What can LMI tell us?
- The number of job vacancies in each job sector.
- The type of vacancies — if they are part-time, full-time, temporary, seasonal or permanent.
- General trends in the world of work — such as which types of business are doing well or failing.
- What kind of businesses are opening, or closing down, in your area.
- The skills and qualifications that employers are looking for.
- What qualification levels and subjects people have.
- How many people are looking for work.
Why do I need LMI?
- LMI can give you a clear view of what is happening in the world of work, so you can make realistic plans for your future.
- Knowing about things like the number and type of job vacancies, how work is changing and what employers are looking for can make it easier to plan what to do next.
- It will also help you to find out about the qualifications and employability skills you will need for your career ideas.
- LMI can give you an idea of the job situation and help you to find out which subjects or courses you might need for your career ideas.
Where can I find LMI?
- A newspaper article about the number of young people who are going to Coventry University this year.
- A chart showing how many people are unemployed in the Coventry area.
- A flyer for a new shop opening in the city centre of Coventry.
- A job advertisement looking for people to train as IT technicians.
- A conversation with a family friend about job losses at their workplace.
- A story on a computer games website about the growth of the games design industry in the Midlands.
- A vacancy search on the Jobcentre Plus website to see what kind of opportunities are available now.
- Things you’ve noticed about a company from taking part in a work experience placement.